PublicationsThe Bay Area Alliance for Sustainable Communities' publications contain valuable information and inspiring stories to lead readers along the path to Bay Area sustainability.
- Compact for a Sustainable Bay Area
- Regional Livability Footprint/Smart Growth Strategy
- Sustainable Indicators
- Faces of Sustainability - case studies
Compact for a Sustainable Bay AreaThe purpose of the Compact for a Sustainable Bay Area is to inform regional and local planning and decision-making, guide the actions of government, employers, civic organizations and individuals and motivate cooperative efforts that will lead to a more sustainable region. The Compact identifies key regional challenges and presents a package of ten strategic commitments to meet those challenges in order to put the Bay Area on a more sustainable path. The Compact is a commitment made by member organizations to take specific steps over the next quarter century. Click here to view Compact for a Sustainable Bay Area.
The Ten Commitments to Action, which forms the centerpiece of the Compact, contains the following 10 strategic commitments:
- Enable a diversified, sustainable and competitive economy to continue to prosper and provide jobs in order to achieve a high quality of life for all Bay Area residents.
- Provide housing affordable to all income levels within the Bay Area to match population increases and job generation.
- Target transportation investment to achieve a world-class comprehensive, integrated and balanced multi-modal system that supports efficient land use and decreases dependency on single-occupancy vehicle trips.
- Preserve and restore the region's natural assets, including San Francisco Bay, farmland, open space, and other habitats.
- Improve resource and energy efficiency, reduce pollution and waste.
- Focus investment to preserve and revitalize neighborhoods.
- Provide all residents with the opportunity for quality education and lifelong learning to help them meet their highest aspirations.
- Promote healthy and safe communities.
- Support state and local government fiscal reforms.
- Stimulate civic engagement.